Who are the hypocrites?
Let us firstly see what the famous Sufi saint, Shah Waliyullah, radzi Allahu ‘anhu, says in his Al-Fawz Al-Kabiir, before we comment on this topic.
Section 2 – The Verses of Confrontations
Chapter 4 – The beliefs of the hypocrites
By “munaafiqiin” those people are referred to who used to claim to be Muslim by their tongues, but in reality, they weren’t Muslims and they were of 2 groups:
1. There was one group of munaafiqin that declared Islam by their tongues but their hearts contained disbelief. About them, Allah Ta’ala states that they shall be in the lowest pits of hellfire:
إِنَّ الْمُنَافِقِينَ فِي الدَّرْكِ الْأَسْفَلِ مِنَ النَّارِ وَلَن تَجِدَ لَهُمْ نَصِيرًا
Translation of meaning: Verily, the hypocrites will be in the lowest part of hellfire, and you shall not find [i.e., see] for them a single helper. (Holy Quran 4:145)
2. The second group of hypocrites entered Islam with a weak creed. These people were followers of their tribes or nations. When their entire tribe or nation became Muslim, then they too accepted Islam wholeheartedly.
In this group, those people were also included who were completely seekers of the worldly life and carnal whims and caprices! They were indulgent in lives of comfort and plenty, and their hearts had no place for Allah or His Messenger.
They also included some other people, in whose hearts greed, envy, rancor, and other such ill traits were found. They were rendered completely incapacitated that they experience the true sweetness of dua (supplication), worship, and iiman (faith). Among those were such people who simply couldn’t afford to part with their economic endeavors in order to worry about the hereafter. In their hearts, there were a lot of doubts and apprehensions about the prophethood and the message of the Master ﷺ. But these people did not openly deny Islam too, due to a lack of any innate audacity in their characters. 
The doubts and apprehensions of the munaafiqiin:
Why did the hypocrites reject the prophethood and the message of our Master Muhammad ﷺ? It was due to the following reasons:
1. The biggest reason was that they used to consider the Master ﷺ as ‘a common person’ like themselves, who maintained [biological] human qualities like them. They simply could not fathom that a human too could be a prophet or a messenger!
2. The second reason due to which the munaafiqiin rejected the prophethood of our Master ﷺ was that to them – by outwardly observation – Islam too was spreading and the domination of Muslims over various territories was increasing – as the other rulers of the world conquered lands and increased their influence. It was incredibly difficult for the munaafiqiin to distinguish between the work of a prophet and the works of kings. In their minds, they envisaged a prophet or a messenger similar to a king! Therefore, instead of declaring belief on the messengerhood and the message of the Master ﷺ, they fell victim to a lot of doubts and apprehensions relating to them (the messengerhood and the message of Rasulullah ﷺ).
Then among these munaafiqiin, those people were also included who even though they became Muslims, their hearts contained love for their families and tribes who had not yet become Muslim, but were still kafirs. Hence, the love of their kafir community, used to incite these munaafiqiin that they help their kafir and mushrik relatives and work for their interests. In this matter, they simply did not care about how much they harm Islam by this attitude of theirs. 
If observed from this perspective, it is their hypocrisy in deeds and character, while the hypocrisy of the first group was hypocrisy of creed.
After the passing away of the Master ﷺ, it is not possible to know the [creedal] hypocrisy of anyone; as it relates to the knowledge of the unseen and no one can know the inside of the heart of another person.
As for hypocrisy of deeds and characters, then it has always been present in this world in every age, and specially in OUR times, it is in abundance!
The following hadiith points to this very hypocrisy of deeds:
أربع من كن فيه كان منافقاً خالصاً، ومن كانت فيه خصلة منهن كانت فيه خصلة من نفاق حتى يدعها: إذا اؤتمن خان، وإذا حدث كذب، وإذا عاهد غدر، وإذا خاصم فجر
Translation of meaning: ‘The person who has these 4 qualities, he is a pure munaafiq – and someone who has one of these four qualities, has a quality of hypocrisy until he gives it up – if he is entrusted with something, he betrays it; if he speaks, he lies; if he makes a promise, he doesn’t fulfill it; if he quarrels [with someone], he forays into indecencies.’ (Sahiihayn)
In the Holy Quran, Allah Ta’ala has described the qualities of the hypocrites and exposed them. The deeds and bad character traits of both types of munaafiqiin have been described so that the ummah stays warned and aware of them.
If you want to witness live the examples of hypocrisy in action, then please go to the gatherings of the rulers of our times and their courtiers, where the courtiers give precedence to the sayings of their kings above the commanding of the Master ﷺ and the Shari’ah [taught by him]. 
The reality is that between those munaafiqiin — among whom there were such people who even listened to the talks of the Master ﷺ, and yet also maintained hypocrisy — and the munaafiqiin in our times, who even after knowing the commanding of the Master ﷺ and the ruling of the Shari’ah, go against it — there simply is no difference!
Likewise, whimsical rationalists too, people who nuance with philosophy and capricious deductions, are also from the group of hypocrites, in whose hearts INNUMERABLE doubts and apprehensions are found! These people too have forgotten the hereafter. 
Therefore, whenever during the recitation of the Quran, a mention of the munaafiqiin is made, one should not think that these people were just present in the olden times, BUT RATHER, according to the following hadiith, one should consider them as descriptions of the conditions of [hypocritical] people in our OWN times: 
لَتَتَّبِعُنَّ سُنَنَ الَّذِينَ مِنْ قَبْلِكُمْ شِبْرًا بِشِبْرٍ
Translation of meaning: ‘… Surely, you shall follow the people before you span by span …’ (Muttafiq ‘Alaih hadiith, Mishkat, No. 5361)
The reality is that there is no such hardship today for religion, whose example has not been witnessed before. Therefore, the aim of tafsiir must be that the foundational principles and the aims contained in the Quran be discussed. There is no use to just repeat [old] events! 
In this book, we have drawn a brief sketch of the beliefs and convictions of ALL FOUR of the people of the misguided faiths – namely the idolaters, jews, chrsitians and the munaafiqiin – by which in-sha-Allah great help shall be obtained in comprehending the verses of the Quran relating to the science of confrontation and debate.
—————————————————– END TRANSLATION —————————————————-
Notes, analyses, and syntheses:
Please recall some of the points of the Sufi saint’s discourse, and let us contemplate over them and correlate them to matters in OUR times.
 – The hypocrites included those pathetic people whose hearts contained evils like greed, envy, rancor, etc. They harbored envy and ill-will against Muslims whom they were supposed to consider their brothers and sisters in faith, and whose efforts helped these conceited ingrates before and after they supposedly found Islam. They craved money and fame in this world. They doubted the prophethood of our Master Rasulullah ﷺ, but being the arrogant egotistical ingrates that they were, they were stuck between – OPENLY going back to their previous ways as that would mean their “former” people would laugh at their so-called “conversion” – and WHOLEHEARTEDLY shifting their loyalties to Allah, His Messenger ﷺ, and Muslims.
 – This is the single most important factor why people are hypocrites or become so.
ISLAM IS DEFINED BY WALAA (loyalty towards Allah, His Messenger ﷺ, Islam and Muslims) AND BARAA (dissociation from kufr and kuffaar).
The hypocrites are simply incapable to “convert” and make an about-face with their loyalties.
Their hearts seek their “former” clansmen and their good cheer instead of thanking and acknowledging their Creator and following His commands.
Indeed, many poor converts are also misled and served doses of deliberate misinformation on this topic by people who are born in Muslim homes, but who have sold Allah’s deen for a few shekels thrown their way by the heads of kufr.
Such hypocrites (whether born in Muslim homes or supposed “converts”) who masquerade as “scholars of Islam” and preach against Islamic walaa and baraa, completely ignoring the Quran’s commands NOT to bear any friendships or affinities to the kuffaar, are the absolute worst of all apostates and kafirs, who are themselves apostates and also call others towards apostasy! May Allah protect ALL Muslims, born or converted, from the fitnah of such kafir hypocrites masquerading as “scholars of Islam”.
Lack of this walaa and baraa leads to many other hypocrisies and hypocritical tendencies as mentioned all over in this post.
 – This statement of Shah Waliyullah is even more relevant in our times. In these times it is not just the kings and ministers that hypocrites aim to please, despite knowing the commands of the Quran and Sunnah. In these days, we have such disgustingly filthy hypocrites who aim to please the heads of kufr, like popes, priests, rabbis, buddhist monks, hindu & sikh priests – may Allah damn all of their faces.
 – This is the most COMMON type of fake converts we see in our times. We have many idiots who call themselves “converts to Islam” but what really have they “converted”? The reason for such idiots being this way is their lack of walaa and baraa.
Some of such people continue believing in rubbish theories that man evolved from monkeys and insist on it despite being told what Islam says,
Some kafirs despite being told politely that it is kufr according to the Quran and hadith and consensus of Muslims scholars – continue using the phrase “children of God” and insist that it is a metaphor (they do it to be polite to their idol-worshiping christian brothers and sisters).
Others are so engrossed in love of their “former” kafir clansmen that they openly deny explicit verses of the Quran that insult and admonish the kuffaar like calling the kuffaar as filthy, or they invent fantastical sophistry to distort the meanings of verses, based on no evidence.
Some others despite being told what the Quran, Sunnah, and consensus of sahaba and Muslim scholars state – diametrically oppose the Quran and spew sophistry stating that people outside of Islam can be saved in the hereafter. This is a belief of outright apostasy.
Yet others pray for Allah to forgive kafirs, a matter that is forbidden in the Quran and upon which there is ijma’ of Muslim scholars that it takes one outside of Islam. The Quran says that ALL the deeds of a kafir are useless! The Quran CATEGORICALLY FORBIDS Muslims from praying for the forgiveness of the kuffaar.
Of course apostasy rulings do NOT apply on a new convert until he is told of a matter. SINCERE converts to Islam who owe their loyalties to Allah, His Messenger ﷺ, Islam and Muslims – and there are many such sincere converts – mend their ways when they are made aware of a matter that is damaging to deen.
However, hypocrites, the fake converts, are evil animals and they are the ones who show their true colors – even when told what Islam teaches, they resort to antagonism and debauchery.
And yet other such hypocrites either take part in joint “prayer” sessions with kafirs or ask kafirs to pray for them, directly waging war against the Quran!
Needless to say, some filthy swines in the skins of lambs go as far as praising those who speak ill of the messenger of Allah, or they praise the religions of the kuffaar by saying that their religions are “fascinating” and “charming” and so on – or they seek to establish “a common ground” between Islam and kufr, not knowing that in light of the Quranic verses like 4:89 and more, such actions SQUARELY make them kafirs on equal footing with those they aim to please!
Only some examples have been given to show the kufr of fake converts. There are literally any number of blasphemous sayings and actions that phoney converts can engage in because they live and breathe only to achieve one objective – to make their “former” people happy by political correctness or compromise or by outright lying against and twisting the texts of hadith and scholars’ rulings.
One filthy hypocrite swine pretending to be a Muslim scholar once showed his true colors – when he tried to appease his christian and jew brothers and sisters – by saying ‘christians and jews are disbelievers only in Prophet Muhammad ﷺ but not disbelievers in Allah and His previous prophets’. This filthy kafir swine, in his mad dash to please his kafir brothers and sisters, completely DENIED explicit verses of the Quran, and exposed his true state as an apostate and a filthy hypocrite swine. Mark the hypocrite well, dear Muslim. These are the verses of the Quran that he so devilishly negated by saying that christians and jews are ‘just disbelievers in Prophet Muhammad ﷺ but not in Allah and His previous prophets’ :
إِنَّ الَّذِينَ يَكْفُرُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَرُسُلِهِ وَيُرِيدُونَ أَن يُفَرِّقُوا بَيْنَ اللَّهِ وَرُسُلِهِ وَيَقُولُونَ نُؤْمِنُ بِبَعْضٍ وَنَكْفُرُ بِبَعْضٍ وَيُرِيدُونَ أَن يَتَّخِذُوا بَيْنَ ذَٰلِكَ سَبِيلًا
أُولَٰئِكَ هُمُ الْكَافِرُونَ حَقًّا ۚ وَأَعْتَدْنَا لِلْكَافِرِينَ عَذَابًا مُّهِينًا
وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا بِاللَّهِ وَرُسُلِهِ وَلَمْ يُفَرِّقُوا بَيْنَ أَحَدٍ مِّنْهُمْ أُولَٰئِكَ سَوْفَ يُؤْتِيهِمْ أُجُورَهُمْ ۗ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ غَفُورًا رَّحِيمًا
Translation of meaning: Indeed, those who deny (i.e., commit kufr) Allah and His Messengers, and those who wish to separate Allah from His Messengers [i.e., those who claim to have belief in Allah but not in His Messengers] saying “we believe in some but we reject others”* and those who seek to establish a common ground between iman (faith) and kufr (disbelief) – they are patently kafirs**; and We have prepared for the kafirs a humiliating, painful punishment. And those who believe in Allah and His Messengers, and do not distinguish between any of the Messengers, they shall be given their due rewards, and Allah is the Most Forgiving Most Merciful. [Holy Quran 4:150-152]
* This verse is revealed in relation to jews and christians. the jews claim to believe in Abraham, Moses, and other prophets, but rejected ‘Jesus and our Master Muhammad, while the followers of Jesus claimed to believe in him but rejected Prophet Muhammad. salawatullahi ‘alal ambiyaai wal mursaleen.
** This means that rejection in even one single prophet is rejection of all of them. It also means that those who seek to establish a common ground between Islam and kufr are also kafirs and simply not Muslims.
Some of them are smart enough to guise it behind the mask of “da’wah” but that mask falls off the very second such phoney converts are ashamed of presenting the Quran’s truth in front of the kuffaar. Is there any such thing as da’wah by censorship of the truth or compromise on Islam? The kuffaar pelted stones at the beloved of Allah, yet that did not deter him from calling them to worship Allah alone and from telling them that kufr is pure filth. Such kafirs cringe when they see the example of our father and master Ibrahim ‘alaihis salam, presented in the Quran such as in verse 60:4.
In short, these people are people who have “converted” from one form of kufr to another form of kufr. The only difference is that they now call their new form of kufr as “Islam”, but in fact they just make up their own religion as they go along!
Of course, as the Sufi saint stated, the first and worst group of fake converts is so evil that they apply judgment on Islam and Muslims using the values and ethos of their “former” lives, values, conventions, etc. The devils pretend to be Muslim holding kufr deep inside their hearts and try to “reform” Islam and Muslims and get them to conform to the norms, values, and conventions of their kafir brothers and sisters.
 – Muslims should note well that they should not fall for the tricks of hypocrites, whether they are born in Muslim families or are fake converts. A lot of times when the qualities of hypocrites and hypocrisy is mentioned, these great satans will try to insist and convince people that all those things mentioned and being discussed, pertain to the hypocrites of the Prophet’s ﷺ own times. Muslims should NEVER FORGET that the mentioned quality and the discussion DOES INDEED ALSO PERTAIN TO THE HYPOCRITES OF THESE TIMES, and all times.
 – As mentioned above, the fake converts pretending to be Muslims, will almost always insist that the things mentioned in the books of hadith, tafsiir, and the rulings of mujtahid scholars of Islam are not relevant to the current times and circumstances, social and political climates, and so on. Muslims should NOT FORGET the words of this and all great TRUE Sufi saints that there is simply no calamity to have befallen the ummah that hasn’t been experienced before. So all those kafirs who try to twist Islam to suit their whims and caprices in the garb of “reformation and getting on with the times” should SIMPLY NOT BE ENTERTAINED BY MUSLIMS.
And success isn’t but by Allah’s granting.